Christmas and New Year can produce a lot of waste, but everyone can do their bit to help reduce, reuse, and recycle.
Real Christmas trees can be recycled for free using our annual collection service. Simply ensure all decorations and lights are removed and leave trees outside your property beginning 9 January.
Collections will take place within the following fortnight, so please be mindful to leave your tree in a spot where it will not block the pavement or road.
Real trees can also be recycled before this date by taking them to your local Household Refuse and Recycling Centre (HRRC), booking a bulky waste collection, or with your garden waste disposal, if you subscribe to the service.
If you have an unused artificial tree or Christmas decorations, as well as old electronics that are being replaced by new gifts, drop them off at Fisher’s Farm to our new Community Reuse Shop. Staff collect games, cookware, and many other items that would otherwise go to landfill and fix them up to be re-sold at affordable prices. All proceeds go back into the operation of the shop. Location and operating hours are available on the council website.
Our bulky waste collection service is available to book on the council website, and can also be used to safely pick up large items and white goods for disposal. Residents should be advised that any unlicensed waste removal services advertised online can lead to illegal fly tipping, so it is advised to exercise caution.
You can find more tips on reducing waste and recycling on the council website.
It is also important to remember that the New Year bank holiday will mean your regular collections will move by up to four days. You can check yours based on the chart below:
- Friday 30 December 2022 will move to Tuesday 3 January 2023
- Monday 2 January 2023 will move to Wednesday 4 January 2023
- Tuesday 3 January 2023 will move to Thursday 5 January 2023
- Wednesday 4 January 2023 will move to Friday 6 January 2023
- Thursday 5 January 2023 will move to Saturday 7 January 2023
- Friday 6 January 2023 will move to Monday 9 January 2023
- Monday 9 January 2023 will move to Tuesday 10 January 2023
- Tuesday 10 January 2023 will move to Wednesday 11 January 2023
- Wednesday 11 January 2023 will move to Thursday 12 January 2023
- Thursday 12 January 2023 will move to Friday 13 January 2023
- Friday 13 January 2023 will move to Saturday 14 January 2023
Collections will return to normal from Monday 16 January.
To find your regular collection day and download your 2023 rubbish and recycling calendar, visit the council website. All you need is your address or post code.